[Fixed] Android USB Device Not Recognized but Still Charges
“Please help! My Galaxy S8 is not detected via USB when I connect it to my PC. Nothing shows in my computer, but phone remains charging. Anyone know the solution to this?”
You take lots of photos with your Android phone and want to transfer those files to the computer, or you mistakenly delete important files on your phone and want to recover data from Android. You have to connect your Android phone to PC via USB cable, but only to find that your phone is not showing up on PC (even though it’s charged). This can be very frustrating and happened with many Android devices. What to do? Read on this post to learn possible fixes of Android USB device not detected but still charging problem.
- Tip 1. Try to Use a Different USB Cable
- Tip 2. Restart Your Computer or Android Phone
- Tip 3. Update Your Computer or Android Version
- Tip 4. Enable USB Debugging on Android Phone
- Tip 5. Connect Android to Computer as MTP
- Tip 6. Clean Up Other USB Devices on Computer
- Tip 7. Update or Install Android USB Driver
Tip 1. Try to Use a Different USB Cable
The top reason why your Android phone is not connecting to PC and only charging is the faulty USB cable. So please first ensure that you use the right cable, since not all USB cables can be used to transmit data. Try to take a different USB cable and plug Android phone directly into your computer instead of a USB hub.
Tip 2. Restart Your Computer or Android Phone
If you’ve been using your computer or Android phone for a long time, the device may become unresponsive and then your phone won’t detected via USB but still charges. All you need to do is reboot your computer or Android phone and see if that makes a difference.
Tip 3. Update Your Computer or Android Version
Sometimes there may be some bugs in the software and updating your computer or Android version may indeed help to fix the issue. Go to settings of your computer or Android phone and check for updates. If there are any updates, install them.
Tip 4. Enable USB Debugging on Android Phone
Remember that USB debugging should be enabled on your Android phone, which allows you to directly access your phone, transfer and install apps. If you haven’t already, please enable USB debugging on Android (Click to view the step-by-step guide on how to do it on different versions of Android).
Tip 5. Connect Android to Computer as MTP
Your Android phone can be connected to the computer just to charge. In such case, the computer may not be able to recognize it. All you need to do is setting USB connection as MTP mode. Just plug Android into your computer, pull down the notification bar and touch the USB options, then select “Connected as a media device”.
Tip 6. Clean Up Other USB Devices on Computer
Sometimes the computer doesn’t recognize your phone because it “remembers” a lot of different USB devices and the number of installed drivers may be in hundreds. You can use third-party tool like USBDeview to easily manage all USB devices and uninstall the unnecessary ones.
Tip 7. Update or Install Android USB Driver
If the above tips doesn’t help, then you may have a driver problem. Your Android device is not recognized by the computer because the USB driver is not working or missed. Hence, you need to update or install the proper USB driver for your Android device on the computer.
I hope that this troubleshooting guide can help you fix Android USB not detected but charging problem. If your phone is still not connecting to PC, then feel free to contact us by email (email@example.com). Also let us know if you’ve found a fix that we haven’t mentioned here in the comments.
You May Also Like:
- 6 Best Photo Editing Apps for iPhone X/8/7/6s/6 Plus
- Top 5 Best Free Online Video Converter 2018
- 5 Best Free Movie Apps for iPhone & iPad
- Top 5 Best Free Video Converter for Windows/Mac
- Photo Vault Recovery: Recover Deleted Photos from Vault App in Android
- How to Backup & Restore Viber Messages on iPhone (iPhone X/8 Included)
- Instagram Direct Messages: Recover Deleted Instagram DM on iPhone/Android
- iPhone Stuck on the Apple Logo? How to Fix
- How to Disable Find My iPhone on iPhone X/8/7/6s (Plus)
- iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes? How to Unlock?