What a nightmare! You woke up on one morning but just found your iPhone screen went black, and you could not restart it even after several long presses on the Sleep/Wake button! It is really annoying since you’re not able to access the iPhone to receive calls or send messages. You started to recall what you had done to your iPhone. Got it wet? New upgrade failed? Oh, what on earth went wrong?
Calm down! iPhone black screen is a common problem and usually caused by software or hardware problems with the device. The good news is that there are some potential solutions to the issue. In this guide, we’re going to explain why your iPhone screen went black and several fixes you can try to get it working as normal again.
Possible Causes for iPhone Black Screen
Well, black screen of death is a very common issue on iOS devices, and there are different potential causes to get your iPhone stuck on black screen. Typically, there are two types of reasons:
- Hardware Damage, such as your iPhone screen went black after you accidentally dropping the device, get iPhone soaked in water for a long time, screen broken or improper screen replacement.
If iPhone black screen is caused by a hardware problem, there is no quick fix. You have to contact Apple Service online or bring your iPhone to the nearest Apple Store for repair.
- Software Problem, for example your iPhone screen got frozen or turned black after a software crash, jailbreaking, update or restore failure, etc.
If iPhone black screen is a result of software errors or system glitches, here are 5 effective solutions to fix the issue on iPhone 12 mini/12/12 Pro/11/11 Pro/XS/XR/X/8/7/6s in iOS 14 or earlier versions.
Solution 1: Charge Your iPhone Battery
Running out of battery is a possible reason. If your iPhone screen went black and became unresponsive, you should first attempt to charge your iPhone. Keeping charging for a while and if lack of power is the reason for iPhone black screen of death, your iPhone screen will light up and an empty battery icon will also be displayed.
Solution 2: Force Restart Your iPhone
If your iPhone still gets stuck on black screen after you’ve charged it, or you used a particular app before the iPhone screen going black, there was a high possibility that the app suffered a crash. Under such circumstances, you can perform a force restart on your iPhone and see if that helps.
In light of differences of iPhone devices, the process is going to be different. To do this, perform a long press both the Power button and the Home button on iPhone 6 or earlier devices until the Apple logo shows up and the reboot takes place. On iPhone 7/7 Plus, press and hold the Power and the Volume Down buttons instead. Onr iPhone 8 or newer devices, quick press and release the Volume Up button then the Volume Down button, finally press and hold the Power button.
Solution 3: Restore iPhone to Factory Settings
If rebooting doesn’t help to fix black screen on your iPhone, you will need to restore it to factory settings through iTunes. However, all contents and settings on the iPhone will be wiped after restoring to factory settings. So, before starting the process, you’d better make a full backup of your iPhone.
- Launch iTunes. If no iTunes on your computer, download the latest one from Apple official site. If you use a Mac on macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder.
- Plug your black screen iPhone to the computer via USB cable, and waif for the iTunes or Finder to detect your device.
- Once your iPhone is recognized, click on “Restore iPhone” and iTunes will begin to restoring the device to its default settings.
- Wait for the iTunes to finish the restore. Once done, your iPhone will reboot and you can restore it from backup if you have a recent backup in iTunes.
Note: This method does not always work. During the processing of restoring, some problems will occur, such as iPhone stuck in recovery mode, unrecognized device, etc. If that happens, go further to find a way out.
Solution 4: Update or Restore iPhone in Recovery Mode
If iTunes failed to detect your iPhone during restoring factory settings, you can try forcing the device into Recovery mode. In this way, your iPhone will be updated to the latest iOS version and all your data will also be wiped. So make sure that you already have a recent backup.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable and launch iTunes.
Step 2: While connected, power off the iPhone and reboot it.
- For iPhone 11/XR/XS/X or iPhone 8/8 Plus: Quickly press and release the Volume Up button. And then quickly press and release the Volume Down button. Next, press and hold the Side button. Don’t release the button until the recovery mode screen appears.
- For iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold down the Side button and the Volume Down button for at least 10 seconds until the screen ask you to connect to iTunes.
- For iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, and earlier: Press and hold down the Side button and the Home button for at least 10 seconds until the screen require you to connect to iTunes.
Steps 3: Select “Update” from the popup window, and iTunes will start reinstalling iOS without removing your data. Or you can select “Restore” to erase the iPhone and restore it to factory settings.
Solution 5: Fix iPhone Black Screen without Data Loss
If you have tried all ways mentioned above, you still can not access your iPhone, now you are suggested to use Fucosoft iOS System Recovery, a professional iOS repair tool to fix various kinds of system issues without any data loss. It is very easy to use, helping you to solve iPhone black screen of death in few minutes. Plus, it is fully compatible with all iOS versions and iOS devices, including the latest iOS 14 and iPhone 12/12 Pro.
Here’s how to fix iPhone black screen of death without data loss:
Step 1: After downloading and installing Fucosoft iOS System Recovery on your PC or Mac, run the program. Then using a USB cable to connect your iPhone that stuck in black screen to the computer and choose “Repair Operating System” on the primary window.
Step 2: Now click “Fix Now” to proceed.
If the device can be recognized, you will be directed to the next step. If not, you should follow the on-screen instructions to boot your iPhone into DFU mode or Recovery mode.
Step 3: Once connected successfully, the program will detect your iPhone model and display all the iOS firmware for the device. Choose the version you need and click “Download” to proceed.
Step 4: When the firmware is downloaded, click “Repair Now” and the software will begin to repair your iPhone. After that, your iPhone will be fixed from the black screen of death. All data in your iPhone will also be kept fine.
This article provides you with 5 ways to fix iPhone black screen of death. Among these solutions, Fucosoft iOS System Recovery is highly recommended because of the efficiency of fixing the black screen issue. Besides, it can also fix the problems that iTunes can not fix, like iPhone stuck on Apple logo, iPhone ghost touch, iPhone boot loop, etc. Moreover, you don’t need to worry about data loss and privacy leaking when using this program.
You May Also Like:
- 5 Free Ways to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages
- Top 5 Ways to Fix iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes
- 10 Best YouTube to MP3 320kbps Converter (Online & Desktop)
- 9xbuddy Not Working? 9 Best Alternatives to 9xbuddy
- Top 10 Best 4k YouTube Downloader [2023 Review]
- Top 12 Best YouTube Video Downloader Free Online for 2023
- [Fix]How to Recover Data after Factory Reset Android
- How to Recover Data from Android with Broken Screen
- 7 Tips to Fix iMessage Not Syncing on Mac 
- 13 Best Ways to Fix iMessage Is Signed Out Error on iPhone
- [Fixed]iPhone Stuck on Preparing Update 2023