Many Apple users reported and complained about their contact names missing from iPhone suddenly. Only phone numbers appear instead of names in Contacts, Call Logs or Messages App. It is, unarguably, challenging to recognize or recite someone’s phone numbers without the names. The situation of losing contact names is really troublesome, especially when you need to phone one of your contacts urgently.
If you’re stuck with the same issue that your iPhone showing phone numbers instead of names, don’t worry, this post is for you. Here are 6 solutions that can help you fix iPhone contacts missing names due to iOS 13 update, iOS system crash, or other unknown errors. Just follow one of the solutions in this write-up and have your iPhone contacts showing up with the right names. All these fixes work for the latest iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max and iOS 13.
1. Force Restart Your iPhone
The iPhone system may run into issues having been active for several hours or days. However, this can be fixed immediately by force restarting your iPhone. Actually, restarting your iPhone has proven to fix many common issues, including iPhone not showing contact names. You can try it first when you cannot access your contact names.
Here are how to force restart on various iPhone models:
- iPhone 11/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus – Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then the Volume Down button. Keep pressing the Power button until you see the Apple logo.
- iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus – Press and continue holding the Power and Volume Down buttons until the Apple logo shows up on the screen.
- iPhone 6s or below versions – Press and hold down the Power and Home buttons at the same time, release them when the Apple logo appears.
2. Sign Out of iCloud and Sign In Back
When your iPhone contact names disappeared, another quick fix recommended to the problem is to sign out and sign in back to iCloud. If your iPhone is synced to iCloud to automatically back up your data, to do this may help you restore the missing contact names. Just follow the steps below:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings and click on your Apple ID name at the top.
- Scroll down and click on “Sign Out”, then enter your Apple ID password.
- Click “Turn Off” and tap the buttons of the data types you wish to keep in your iPhone.
- Now click on “Sign Out” again and confirm. After you have completely signed out, click “Sign In” and enter your password.
3. Toggle Contacts Off and On in iCloud
Your iPhone contacts are missing names, actually they are not disappeared, but just don’t show up properly. In case your iPhone is set to sync Contacts from iCloud, one of the easiest way to bring back the missing contact names is try to disable Contacts in iCloud and enable it on again. Here are the steps to follow:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Apple ID name > iCloud and toggle the Contacts off.
- You will be requested to keep or delete previously synced contacts. Select “Delete from My iPhone”. (Rest assured, you will not lose any data, your contacts are still stored in iCloud.)
- Now toggle Contacts on again and you should have all your contacts including numbers and names restored.
4. Check Your Google Account
It is also likely that you may have your iPhone contacts synced with Google account instead of iCloud. In this case, the above iCloud solution will not work for you. You can check the steps below to see if you can find your contact names on the Google account.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and select “Gmail” to access your Google account.
- Check if the Contacts is toggled on. If it is not turned on, toggle it on to get your contact names back.
5. Edit Any Contact to Refresh Contacts Database
More often than not when contact names missing on your iPhone, carrying out a simple edit on the contact information can help the Contacts to refresh and make the entire contact details available again. Just check the steps below to edit and update your Contacts database.
- On your iPhone, open the Contacts app and choose any contact with missing name.
- Click “Edit” at the top-right corner to edit and update the contact’s information such as name, email, address, etc.
- Click “Done” to save the change, this will refresh the Contacts database on your iPhone and fix the problem of iPhone contacts missing names.
6. How to Recover iPhone Missing Contacts after iOS 13 Update
If you are still experiencing iPhone contacts missing names after trying all of the above solutions, you should take a third-party tool – Fucosoft iPhone Data Recovery into account. In addition to missing contacts, the software can also help you recover iPhone deleted text messages, call logs, photos, videos, WhatsApp, notes, voice memos, Safari history, voicemail, etc. It works on all iOS devices, including iPhone 11/11 Pro, iPhone XS (Max)/XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8/7/6s/6 Plus, iPad etc. running on iOS 13/12.
Here are the steps to recover iPhone missing contacts without backup:
- Download and install Fucosoft iPhone Data Recovery software on your PC or Mac, then launch it.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cable. Wait for the program to detect the device and then click “Start”.
- In the listed file types, choose “Contacts” or any other data you wish to recover, then click “Scan” to start scanning immediately.
- When the scanning is finished, you can preview and check the contacts you need, then click “Recover” save them to your computer.
Note: To keep your important contacts safe and avoid any future loss, we suggest you make a backup of your iPhone contacts regularly. Here we suggest you try Fucosoft iOS Data Backup & Restore, which can help you easily backup and export contacts on your iPhone to computer.
With the various options provided above, you can quickly get back missing contact names without any hassles. All the steps are easy to follow to fix iPhone contact names missing and only show phone numbers problem. If you found this article helpful, please don’t hesitate to share or recommend it, so your friends can benefit from it too. Or if you know any other solutions to fix iPhone not showing contact names, welcome to share it with use in the comment below.
You May Also Like:
- Your complete mobile solution to keep your iPhone/Android running at peak efficiency.
- 4 Free Ways to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages
- Top 5 Ways to Fix iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes
- Top 7 Best 4K YouTube Video Downloader [2019 Review]
- 4 Workable Ways to DM on Instagram on Computer
- 10 Best Sites to Send Anonymous Text Messages in 2019
- 7 Tips to Fix iPhone X Ghost Touch Issue in iOS 13/12
- [Fix]Android USB Device Not Recognized but Still Charges
- Free MP3 Music Downloads from LoudTronix
- 5 Best Android Rooting Software to Root Android Phone
- Top 10 Best Camera Apps for iPhone 11/XS/XR/X/8/7/6s