“My iPhone X keeps acting like I’m pressing buttons when I’m not. It’s been going on for a couple of weeks and I thought resetting my iPhone would help but it hasn’t. What should I do?”
In some instances, the iPhone screen acts as if it’s been touched, opens apps or makes calls by itself – this strange phenomenon is often referred to as “Ghost Touch”. Till now, a growing number of people have complained about the iPhone X ghost touch issues on Apple’s discussion forums.
Which iPhones Are Affected by the Ghost Touch Issue?
This ghost touch issue commonly affects iPhone X devices. Apple even admitted in 2018 that there were problems with the iPhone X’s touchscreen and provided free repairs to affected customers.
Actually, the ghost touch problem not only affects the iPhone X, but also other iPhone models like iPhone 14/13/12/11, iPhone XS/XS Max/XR, iPhone 8/7/6s/6, etc. If this occurs to you, don’t worry, keep reading this guide to learn some possible causes of iPhone ghost touch and a few tips to fix this issue in iOS 16/15.
- Part 1. What Causes Ghost Touch on iPhone?
- Part 2. Best Way to Fix iPhone Ghost Touch without Data Loss
- Part 3. Several Quick Fixes for iPhone Ghost Touch
- Part 4. Other Possible Solutions to Fix iPhone Ghost Touch
Part 1. What Causes Ghost Touch on iPhone?
Several things can cause this problem, and understanding the main cause can help you determine the best solution to implement. The following are some of the main causes of the iPhone ghost touch issue.
1. Wet or Dirty Touchscreen
Your iPhone’s screen detects even the slightest of touches due to changes in the electrical field on and around the screen. This electrical field can be triggered when significant dirt on the screen, resulting in a ghost touch that the apps may detect on the device.
This is why the ghost touch issue is often visible if you use your iPhone with wet hands or when there is significant dried residue on the screen.
2. An ill-fitting iPhone Case
Sometimes the problem could also be the iPhone case that you are using. If the case is too tight, it can touch some sections of the screen resulting in the ghost touch.
This problem can also be present if the phone case is made of hard materials that squeeze on the iPhone, causing it to bend. The warping effect created by this bend can cause issues with the touch panel resulting in ghost touches.
An ill-fitting case can also cause temperature issues with the device, particularly causing the temperature to rise. This heated-up environment can, in turn, interfere with the iPhone’s touchscreen causing the ghost touch problem.
3. Screen Protectors
The screen protector you are using can also cause this issue if debris is stuck between the screen and the protector. Maybe some dust got trapped between the screen and the protector when you were applying the protector. The same ghost issue may also happen if the screen protector is not properly placed on the device.
4. Software Issues
It is also possible that problems with the iPhone’s software could be the main cause. If minor issues cause the ghost touch, simply restarting the device can fix the system errors and therefore fix the ghost touch issue. If the underlying system errors are more severe, you may need to update or restore the device to fix them.
5. iPhone Hardware Issues
But perhaps the most prevalent cause of the ghost touch issue is if there is physical damage to the screen itself. This can happen if you dropdrop the device or the iPhone has suffered liquid damage. In this case, the best solution is to make an appointment at your local Apple Store and have the technicians look at the device.
Part 2. Best Way to Fix iPhone Ghost Touch without Data Loss
If your iPhone is suffering from ghost touch screen and you think that this phenomenon is a result of software errors, you can depend on third-party iOS repair tool to fix the issue. Here Fucosoft iOS System Recovery (iOS 16 supported) is strongly recommend.
It is a powerful program with easy-to-use interface, which helps you fix many common iOS system issues including ghost touch on your iPhone X, iPhone XS/XR, iPhone 11/11 Pro, iPhone SE, iPhone 12, iPhone 13, iPhone 14, etc. Also, it is capable of solving iPhone Touch ID not working, iPhone stuck in Recovery mode, DFU mode, Apple logo, iPhone is disable connect to iTunes, restart loops, freezing issue, and so on without data loss.
Follow the steps below to fix iPhone X ghost touch issue:
Step 1: Download, install and launch Fucosoft iOS System Recovery on your computer. Then click “Start” on the home page to continue.
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cable. If the device can be detected, click on “Standard Repair” to move to the next step. If not, follow the onscreen instructions to put your device into DFU or Recovery Mode.
Step 3: Now the software will detect the model of your device and provide the appropriate firmware for it. Click “Download” to continue.
Step 4: After that, click “Start Standard Repair” to begin the fixing procedure. Wait while the process completes, and your iPhone will get back to normal.
Part 3. Several Quick Fixes for iPhone Ghost Touch
3.1 Clean Your iPhone Touchscreen
Sometimes the screen has debris or dust on it that causes the iPhone X ghost touch problem. So a simple fix you should try is to clean your iPhone’s touchscreen.
Please turn your iPhone off and unplug any connected cables before start cleaning it. Then use a soft and clean cloth with alcohol to gently wipe your device’s screen from one end to the other.
Also you can take a small piece of tissue paper (fold it several times) and a wooden toothpick. Use the folded tissue paper and toothpick to clean the small gap between the iPhone’s glass screen and body.
3.2 Take Off iPhone Screen Protector
Many iPhone users choose to attach a screen protector to protect the screen from scratches. Sometimes, the screen protector may disrupt how the touchscreen operates and cause issues like iPhone ghost touch.
In this case, you can easily fix the issue by removing your iPhone’s screen protector. Please do it carefully and slowly. If the protector is damaged, you’d better take your phone to a repair shop or Apple to remove it without harming the device.
3.3 Remove Your iPhone’s Case
Just like screen protectors, your iPhone’s case might also case ghost touch screen and make your device perform actions automatically.
And you can easily solve this problem by removing the attached case from your iPhone. After that, your your iPhone should work normally.
3.4 Disconnect Third-Party Charger and Accessories
If you are using iPhone charging accessories that are not Apple certified, including any charging cables, headphone jack converters, or any other battery charging cases, disconnecting them from the device may fix this issue. These charging accessories have been known to cause the screen to move when connected, resulting in the ghost touch issue.
If you find that the problem is the charging cable you are using, you may also want to connect the charger to a different outlet or use your computer if you use a wall outlet.
3.5 Restart Your iPhone
If you are still facing the ghost touch screen on your iPhone after trying the above fixes, you can try to restart your iPhone. Restarting your iPhone can help to fix most minor glitches that cause your device malfunction such as ghost touch. The steps to restart iPhone varies depending on the models you have：
- For iPhone X or later: Hold the Side button and either Volume button until “slide to power off” appears. Swipe the slider to the right to power off the device. After that, hold the Side button to restart the iPhone.
- For iPhone 8 or earlier: Hold the Top/Side button until “slide to power off” appears. Swipe the slide to turn off the device. After that, hold the Top/Side button again until you see the Apple logo.
3.6 Check Your Accessibility Settings
The Accessibility settings on your iPhone can significantly affect the way your device responds to touch. You may experience this problem if you change any of these settings, including the AssistiveTouch, Touch Accommodations, and many other settings. Do the following to check;
- Open the Settings app on the iPhone and go to Accessibility > Touch.
- Check if AssistiveTouch is enabled. If it is, tap on the toggle next to it to disable it.
- You may also have issues with the touchscreen if “Touch Accommodations” is enabled. If it is, toggle the switch next to it to turn it off.
- You should also ensure that “Back Tap” is not enabled to prevent double or triple taps when using the volume keys or activate Siri. Tap on the “Back Tap” setting and choose “None” for both options.
- Finally, tap on “Haptic Touch” to see if the period you have to wait before your touchscreen registers a touch is too slow or fast.
Part 4. Other Possible Solutions to Fix iPhone Ghost Touch
4.1 Force Restart Your iPhone
It is possible that restarting your iPhone could not remove the glitch that cause the ghost touch issue. In this situation, force restarting your iPhone is also a worth trying solution. This will clear all temporary memory of your iPhone and gives the device a fresh start, then fix the ghost touch screen. Follow these simple steps:
- For iPhone 8 or later devices: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button > Press and quickly release the Volume Down button > Hold down the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Hold down the Volume Down button and the Power button > Release both buttons until you see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone 6 or earlier devices: Hold down the Power button and the Home button > Release the both buttons until you see the Apple logo.
4.2 Reset All Settings on Your iPhone
Another step in troubleshooting the ghost touch phenomenon is to reset all settings on your iPhone X. To do this: go to Settings > General > Reset and select “Reset All Settings”.
You will be required to enter your screen passcode to confirm the action. Then all the settings on your iPhone will be revert to the default settings.
Only the system settings will be reset. You won’t lose any files, data or apps.
4.3 Factory Reset Your iPhone
For most people, simply force restarting the iPhone or resetting all settings will do the trick. But if you are one of the unlucky dogs still experiencing iPhone X ghost touch issues after trying the above solutions, you can perform a factory reset on your iPhone.
But it’s worth mentioning that a factory reset will totally erase all the contents from your iPhone. So we suggest you first back up your iPhone before following the steps below:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings and tap on “General”.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap “Reset”, then choose “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Tap “Backup Then Erase” or “Erase Now” to restore your iPhone to its original factory state.
4.4 Update to the Latest iOS 16
Factory resetting iPhone will help to solve most software problems, but if that doesn’t stop the iPhone X ghost touch problem, you can try updating your iPhone to the latest iOS 16. This is a good way of resolving any software bugs that might cause ghost touch. Here’s how to do it wirelessly:
- Plug your iPhone into a power and connect it to a Wi-Fi network.
- Open Settings > choose “General” > click on “Software Update”.
- Tap “Download and Install”. If you have already downloaded the update, tap “Install Now”.
If you can’t find the update on your iPhone, you can update to iOS 16 manually using iTunes or Finder on your computer.
4.5 Reinstall iOS Using Recovery Mode
Reinstalling the iOS in recovery mode is one of the best ways to fix this problem if a software problem causes this ghost touch issue. To use this solution, enter recovery mode on your iPhone and connect it to the computer and when iTunes/Finder gives you the option, choose “Update” and follow the instructions to complete the process.
If recovery mode cannot fix the device, try entering DFU mode, which is the deepest form of restore that you can try and will fix even the most problematic iOS issues. Both recovery and DFU modes will cause data loss, so be sure to back up your device before attempting either.
4.6 Get iPhone X Screen Fixed by Apple
If the above solutions don’t help, don’t worry, Apple is ready to fix your problem for free. Recently, Apple recognized the iPhone X’s screen issue on its support page and now offers a free display repair service for those who experience the problem.
You can either make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store or find an Apple Authorized Service Provider to get your iPhone X ghost touch issue fixed. Before that, make sure to backup your iPhone to iTunes or iCloud, or using third-party tool like Fucosoft iOS Data Backup & Restore.
- 5 Free Ways to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages
- Top 5 Ways to Fix iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes
- Top 7 Best 4K YouTube Video Downloader [2021 Review]
- Tenorshare 4uKey Review - Unlock iPhone/iPad without Passcode
- iPhone Stuck on the Apple Logo? How to Fix
- 10 Tips to Fix iPhone X Ghost Touch Issue in iOS 14/13
- [Fix]How to Recover Data after Factory Reset Android
- How to Recover Data from Android with Broken Screen
- 7 Tips to Fix iMessage Not Syncing on Mac 
- Top 10 Best Camera Apps for iPhone 12/11/XS/XR/X/8/7