Same to Facebook Messenger, Instagram Direct is a private messaging feature that allows you to send text messages, photos, videos, locations, as well as share stories. If you are an Instagram user who use its Direct Message often, you may delete your important Instagram chats by mistake and then need them back. Don’t worry, you’re now in the right place. In this topic, we are set to discuss this issue: “How can I recover deleted Instagram direct messages?”
If you are in the same situation, just read on this post and find 5 proven ways to recover deleted Instagram messages. All of these methods are explained in details and very simple to follow.
Looking for a way to recover deleted Instagram direct messages? Just follow one of the methods below to get your Instagram message back.
Way 1. Recover Instagram Messages from User Whom You’ve Sent [Free]
When you delete Direct Messages on Instagram, you have only deleted the chat or messages from your own side and they are still available on other user’s Instagram to whom you have sent it. So the easiest way to recover deleted Instagram DMs is to ask that person to send you the chats or messages if they were not deleted from their account.
Way 2. Recover Instagram DMs with Connected Facebook Account [Free]
If the Instagram messages have been wiped away from that person whom you have sent, the above method will not work for you. In case you have connected your Facebook and Instagram accounts with each other, you can access and go through your Facebook’s Inbox to check out and manage your Instagram messages easily. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Facebook webpage on any browser and sign in with your Facebook account that is linked with your Instagram account. Then check the Facebook Inbox.
- On the left menu bar, tap on the Instagram Direct icon and you will find your Instagram Direct messages here.
People also read:
Way 3. Recover Instagram Chats through Instagram Data [Complicated]
If you haven’t connect Facebook with your Instagram account, take it easy, there is another chance to recover deleted Instagram messages through Instagram Data. Your deleted Instagram messages will no longer available on your iPhone/Android device, but they are still saved on Instagram’s server. And you’re allowed to download all the data you shared on Instagram, including direct messages, photos, videos, comments, etc.
Follow the steps below to request your account data from Instagram:
Step 1: Go to Instagram website page on your computer’s browser, login to the web version with your Instagram account and password.
Step 2: Now go to your profile by clicking the account settings icon at the top-right corner.
Step 3: Click the gear icon and from the pop-up menu, choose “Privacy and Security”.
Step 4: Scroll down to find “Data Download” and click on “Request Download”.
Step 5: You will be asked to verify your identity, just tap on “Log In Again” and enter your Instagram account information.
Step 6: After that, enter your email address to receive the link to a file with your photos, comments, profile information and more data on Instagram, then click “Next”.
Step 7: Now enter your Instagram password again and click “Request Download”. Then you will receive an email from Instagram with the subject “Your Instagram Data”.
Step 8: Open the email and click “Download Data”, a ZIP file with all the data like direct messages, photos and videos you shared on Instagram will be downloaded to your computer.
Step 9: Extract the downloaded ZIP file and locate the “messages.json” file, open it with a text editor and you will find all the messages you send or received on Instagram.
Step 10: Now find your desired Instagram messages with keywords and recover any message you want.
Instagram can only work on one request from your account at a time, and it may take up to 48 hours to collect the data and send you the email containing your data. So, you need to wait patient to receive the email.
Way 4. Recover Deleted Instagram Photos using Third-party Tools [Free Trial]
Hope you have recovered your Instagram deleted messages with the above free ways. If not, you can still recover deleted Instagram photos and videos with third-party data recovery tools. Keep reading and learn the details.
4.1 How to Recover Deleted Instagram Photos on iPhone
If you are an iPhone user, Fucosoft iPhone Data Recovery is the best choice to help you recover deleted Instagram photos from iPhone, including iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro (Max), iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus/6s/6s Plus, iPad Pro, etc. running on iOS 14/13.
Why Choose Fucosoft iPhone Data Recovery
- Recover deleted photos & videos, messages, contacts, call logs, WhatsApp, Viber, WeChat, Kik, Line, notes, Safari History and more from iPhone/iPad/iPod.
- Directly recover data from iPhone/iPad, or extract data from iTunes/iCloud backup.
- Preview data in details before recovery and selectively recover what you need only.
- Works on all iOS devices and fully compatible with the latest iOS 14.
How to Use Fucosoft iPhone Data Recovery
Step 1: Download this Instagram Photo Recovery software for iPhone, install and run it on your PC/Mac. Choose “Recover Data from iOS Devices” and connect your iPhone or iPad to computer via USB cable.
Step 2: Select the data types like Photos, Videos that you want to recover, then click “Scan” to begin scanning the deleted files on your iPhone/iPad.
Step 3: After scanning, you can preview all scanned iPhone data including the Instagram photos. Select the pictures you need and click “Recover to PC” to recover deleted Instagram photos from iPhone to computer.
4.2 How to Recover Deleted Instagram Photo on Android
If you are an Android user, Fucosoft Android Data Recovery can help you do the recovery. This program makes it easier to recover deleted Instagram photos from popular Android devices even the latest Samsung Galaxy S20/S10/Note 10 Plus, OnePlus 7T/8/8 Pro, Moto G, Google Pixel 3A/4/4 XL, LG V60 ThinQ, Huawei P40/Mate 30, etc.
Why Choose Fucosoft Android Data Recovery
- Recover deleted photos & videos, contacts, text messages, call history, WhatsApp and documents from Android devices.
- Recover deleted files from Android internal memory as well as SD card/SIM card.
- Able to recover data lost due to accidental deletion, rooting error, formatting, factory reset, system crash, virus attack, etc.
- Very easy to use and support Android devices running on Android 10 Q/9 P etc.
How to Use Fucosoft Android Data Recovery
Step 1: Download, install and run this powerful Android Instagram Photo Recovery, then select the “Recover Lost Data” option on the main interface.
Step 2: Enable USB debugging on your Android phone and connect the device to the computer via USB cable. The program will automatically detect the device.
Step 3: Once your Android device is connected successfully, click “Start” to begin scanning data on your Android.
Step 4: After the scan, preview & select the photos and other data you need to recover, then click “Recover” to save them on your computer.
Way 5. Recover Deleted Instagram Direct Messages Online [Scam]
This method entails the usage of an Instagram Message Recovery online site, which is said to be developed by a previous Instagram employee. It allows you to recover deleted Instagram direct messages online by logging into your Instagram account. Below are the steps:
- Go to the Instagram Message Recovery online site, and enter your Instagram username or Profile URL.
- After logging into your Instagram account, tap on “Recover Messages” to begin the recovery process.
- Complete the human verification to prove that you are indeed a human being, then you can recover deleted Instagram messages.
The human verification may request you to answer 40 or more short questions and the recovered Instagram Messages will be downloaded in a ZIP file. This free Instagram Message Recovery online site has some bugs meanwhile. For example, many users reported that they failed to pass the human verification, and the whole recovery process takes a long time. Besides, the website will often pop up some annoying ads when you do the requested surveys.
The Bottom Line
Above are the 5 proven ways to recover deleted Instagram direct messages on your iPhone or Android device. Hope this post can help you get back the Instagram messages that you mistakenly deleted. Any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comment section below.
You May Also Like:
- 4 Workable Ways to DM on Instagram on Computer
- 3 Ways to Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages on iPhone
- How to Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages on Android
iPhone Data Recovery
- Recover Deleted or Lost Data from iDevices, iTunes or iCloud Backup.
- 5 Free Ways to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages
- Top 5 Ways to Fix iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes
- Top 7 Best 4K YouTube Video Downloader [2021 Review]
- Tenorshare 4uKey Review - Unlock iPhone/iPad without Passcode
- iPhone Stuck on the Apple Logo? How to Fix
- 10 Tips to Fix iPhone X Ghost Touch Issue in iOS 14/13
- [Fix]How to Recover Data after Factory Reset Android
- How to Recover Data from Android with Broken Screen
- 7 Tips to Fix iMessage Not Syncing on Mac 
- Top 10 Best Camera Apps for iPhone 12/11/XS/XR/X/8/7