Instagram now is one of the most popular social media platform, which used by billions of users worldwide. This app allows users to send private messages, photos, videos, or share profiles, stories, and links with friends and family via the Direct Messages feature.
If you are an Instagram user who use its Direct Messages often, sometimes you may delete important messages from Instagram by mistake and then need them back. So, how to recover deleted Instagram messages?
Don’t worry, keep on reading this guide to find out how to recover Instagram direct messages or restore Old Instagram DMs. All of these methods are explained in details and quite easy to follow. Let’s get started.
Way 1. Recover Instagram Messages from User Whom You’ve Sent
Can I recover deleted Instagram messages? The answer is YES. When you delete messages on Instagram, you have only deleted the chat from your own side and the people you’re chatting with will still have a copy of the conversation.
So the easiest way to recover deleted Instagram messages is to reach out the people you chatted with and ask them to resend you the messages if thery were not deleted from their account.
Way 2. Recover Deleted Instagram Messages from Instagram Data
When you delete Instagram messages on your iPhone or Android device, they will no longer available in your app but still saved on Instagram’s server. Your direct messages, photos, videos and other types of files are included in this data.
So, another possible way to recover deleted Instagram messages is by requesting data from Instagram. You can download Instagram data to extract and recover your deleted messages.
Follow these steps below to request your account data from Instagram’s web page:
Step 1: Go to Instagram website on your computer’s browser, login to the web version with your Instagram account if not already done.
Step 2: Now right-click the profile icon located at the top right corner of the screen, then choose “Profile” from the menu.
Step 3: Click the Setting icon next to the “Edit Profile” icon and choose “Privacy and Security” from the pop-up menu.
Step 4: Scroll down the menu to find “Data Download” and click on the “Request Download” button.
Step 5: Now enter your email address in the text box and choose the information format as “JSON”, then click on “Next”.
Step 6: Enter your email password for the verification and click on “Request Download”. Instagram will then send you a link with all of your information you requested.
Step 7: Open your email and find the message from Instagram, then click on “Download information”. This will bring you back to Instagram to download your data.
Step 8: In the loaded Instagram page, click on “Download Information” to save your data. Then unzip the downloaded file and locate the “messages.json” file. Open it and you will find all the messages stored on Instagram servers.
Please note that Instagram can only work on one request from your account at a time, and it may take up to 48 hours to collect the data and send you the email. So, you need to wait patient to receive the email. Plus, the link sent to you will expire after 4 days.
Way 3. Recover Deleted Instagram Messages Using Third-party Tool
Hope you have recovered your Instagram deleted messages with the above ways. If not, you can still recover deleted Instagram photos and videos with third-party data recovery tools. Keep reading and learn the details.
- For iPhone users, Fucosoft iPhone Data Recovery is the best choice to help you recover deleted Instagram messages from iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Why Choose Fucosoft iPhone Data Recovery
- Recover deleted photos & videos, messages, contacts, call logs, WhatsApp, Viber, WeChat, Kik, Line, notes, Safari History and more from iPhone/iPad/iPod.
- Directly recover data from iPhone/iPad, or extract data from iTunes/iCloud backup.
- Preview data in details before recovery and selectively recover what you need only.
- Works on all iOS devices like iPhone 13/12/12 and fully compatible with the latest iOS 15.
- For Android users, Fucosoft Android Data Recovery can help you do the recovery. This program makes it easier to recover deleted Instagram messages from popular Android devices.
Why Choose Fucosoft Android Data Recovery
- Recover deleted photos & videos, contacts, text messages, call history, WhatsApp and documents from Android devices.
- Recover deleted files from Android internal memory as well as SD card/SIM card.
- Able to recover data lost due to accidental deletion, rooting error, formatting, factory reset, system crash, virus attack, etc.
- Very easy to use and support all popular Android devices running on the latest Android 11.
Way 4. Recover Deleted Instagram Messages through Facebook [No Longer Works]
Facebook has acquired Instagram in 2012 and linked the company’s operations to its own. So, if you have accidentally deleted important Instagram messages, you can get back the messages from your connected Facebook account’s inbox. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Facebook webpage on any browser and sign in with your account that is linked with your Instagram account. Then check the Facebook Inbox.
- On the left menu bar, tap on the “Instagram Direct” icon and you will find your Instagram Direct messages here.
This method is not working any more. With the latest Facebook updates, now it is not possible to view any deleted Instagram messages on your connected Facebook account.
People also read: How to Recover Deleted Facebook Messages on iPhone/Android
Way 5. Recover Deleted Instagram Direct Messages Online [Scam]
This method entails the usage of an Instagram Message Recovery online site, which is said to be developed by a previous Instagram employee.
It allows you to recover deleted Instagram direct messages online by logging into your Instagram account. Below are the steps:
- Go to the Instagram Message Recovery online site, and enter your Instagram username or Profile URL.
- After logging into your Instagram account, tap on “Recover Messages” to begin the recovery process.
- Complete the human verification to prove that you are indeed a human being, then you can recover deleted Instagram messages.
The human verification may request you to answer 40 or more short questions and the recovered Instagram Messages will be downloaded in a ZIP file. This free Instagram Message Recovery online site has some bugs meanwhile. For example, many users reported that they failed to pass the human verification, and the whole recovery process takes a long time. Besides, the website will often pop up some annoying ads when you do the requested surveys.
The Bottom Line
Above are the 5 ways to recover deleted Instagram direct messages on your iPhone or Android device. Hope this post can help you get back the Instagram messages that you mistakenly deleted. Any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comment section below.
- 5 Free Ways to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages
- Top 5 Ways to Fix iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes
- Top 7 Best 4K YouTube Video Downloader [2021 Review]
- Tenorshare 4uKey Review - Unlock iPhone/iPad without Passcode
- iPhone Stuck on the Apple Logo? How to Fix
- 10 Tips to Fix iPhone X Ghost Touch Issue in iOS 14/13
- [Fix]How to Recover Data after Factory Reset Android
- How to Recover Data from Android with Broken Screen
- 7 Tips to Fix iMessage Not Syncing on Mac 
- Top 10 Best Camera Apps for iPhone 12/11/XS/XR/X/8/7