Touch ID is a fingerprint identity sensor that makes it easy for you to unlock and get into your Apple device. It offers a more convenient option for keeping your iPhone or iPad secure when compared with the use of passwords. In addition, you can use Touch ID to make purchases in the iTunes Store, App Store, Apple Books, and authenticate Apple Pay online or in apps. However, many users complained that Touch ID not working on their iPhone/iPad after iOS 12 update, screen replacement, or for any other reason.
Well, a number of things can cause Touch ID fails to work on your iPhone or iPad. If you’re experiencing Touch ID failed issues, please first make sure that the Home button and your finger are clean and dry. And you finger should cover the Home button completely. Besides, try to remove your case or screen protector if it’s in the way of the fingerprint scanner. If these steps didn’t help and you’re still having troubles with Touch ID, don’t worry, keep reading to find out more quick solutions to fix Touch ID not working problem and make it work again.
Tip 1. Turn Off iTunes Store & App Store
Some users may experience Touch ID not working problem when trying to make a purchase in the iTunes Store or App Store after iOS 12/11 update. To fix this error, you can turn off iTunes & App Store and then turn it on. Here’s how to do it:
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and enter your passcode.
- Turn off the “iTunes & App Store” and then restart your iPhone or iPad by pressing Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
- Go back to Touch ID & Passcode in Settings and turn “iTunes & App Store” back on. And tap “Add a Fingerprint…” to add another fingerprint.
Tip 2. Delete and Re-add Touch ID Fingerprints
When having the iPhone Touch ID not working problem, another useful solution is to remove your existing fingerprints and enroll a fresh new one. Follow the steps below to delete your Touch ID fingerprints on iPhone and start again:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on “Touch ID & Passcode”. Type in your passcode when prompted.
- Choose any fingerprint you have added before and then click on “Delete Fingerprint”. Repeat this until you have removed all old fingerprints.
- After that, click on “Add a Fingerprint…” and follow the on-screen instructions to set up a new fingerprint.
Tip 3. Force Restart Your iPhone
Performing a force restart is helpful in many iOS troubleshooting scenarios. The Touch ID not working error may be temporary and can be solved with a good reboot. Below are steps on how to force restart your iPhone or iPad.
- Force restart iPhone 6s and earlier: Keep holding and pressing Home button and Power button for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
- Force restart iPhone 7/7 Plus: Keep holding and pressing Power button and Volume Down button, then release them until you see the Apple logo.
- Force restart iPhone 8 and later: Quick press the Volume Up button then the Volume Down button. Holding and pressing the Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Tip 4. Reset All Settings on iPhone/iPad
If a restart does not help, you can try to reset all settings on iPhone/iPad to get it back to default settings and fix Touch ID failure problem. Resetting all settings will not affect the data or contents on your device, only the saved fingerprints, Wi-Fi passwords and other user preference will be deleted. To do this, just go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm your action.
Tip 5. Update to the Latest IOS Version
The Touch ID issues you are experiencing might be caused by errors and failures in the system. Updating your iPhone or iPad to the latest iOS version will likely resolve the problem and get your Touch ID back to work properly again. Simply go to Settings > General > Software Update and click “Download and Install” to proceed.
Tip 6. Restore iPhone with iTunes
If the problem occurs after installing a new iOS update, then you can try to restore your iPhone or iPad to a previous iTunes backup provided you have one. Restoring the device might help to remove factors that cause Touch ID not working.
- Connect iPhone/iPad to your computer with a USB cable, and run the latest version of iTunes.
- Wait for iTunes to recognize the device. Then click on the device icon and tap “Restore iPhone”.
- Choose an iTunes backup from the drop-down list and click “Restore” to start the restore process.
Tip 7. Fix Touch ID Not Working without Data Loss
If the above solutions didn’t help, we suggest you try a third-party tool – Fucosoft iOS System Recovery. It is a professional iOS repair tool that helps to solve the Touch ID not working problem without data loss. Also, it can fix iPhone stuck in Recovery mode, DFU mode, Apple logo, iPhone keyboard not working, iPhone black/white screen of death, iPhone boot loop, etc. to normal state. The program is fully compatible with the latest iOS 13 and iPhone 11/11 Pro, iPhone XS/XS Max/XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8/7/6s/6 Plus, iPad Pro, etc.
Steps on how to fix Touch ID not working issue without data loss:
- Download and install Fucosoft iOS System Recovery software on your computer. Launch it and choose the “Standard More” option from Home page.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to the computer and click “Next”. If the device can be detected, the program will proceed to the next step. If not, follow the instructions to put the device into DFU or Recovery mode.
- The program will detect your device model and show you all available versions of firmware. Choose the one you prefer and click “Download”. After that, click “Start” to begin the fix process.
Touch ID not working is a common problem that users might encounter while using their iPhone or iPad. You don’t have to be panic as it can be easily fixed by using any of the above-listed solutions. The use of Fucosoft iOS System Recovery tool must be the most efficient and convenient approach. If you have other problems with your iOS device, you can also get help with this iOS repair program. Thanks for reading this article and do share your feedback in the comments below.
You May Also Like:
iPhone Data Recovery
- Recover Deleted or Lost Data from iDevices, iTunes or iCloud Backup.
- 4 Free Ways to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages
- Top 5 Ways to Fix iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes
- Top 7 Best 4K YouTube Video Downloader [2019 Review]
- 4 Workable Ways to DM on Instagram on Computer
- 10 Best Sites to Send Anonymous Text Messages in 2019
- 7 Tips to Fix iPhone X Ghost Touch Issue in iOS 13/12
- [Fix]Android USB Device Not Recognized but Still Charges
- Free MP3 Music Downloads from LoudTronix
- 5 Best Android Rooting Software to Root Android Phone
- Top 10 Best Camera Apps for iPhone 11/XS/XR/X/8/7/6s