“Does anybody know how to stop the Windows Compatibility Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe) from starting? It causes extremely high disk usage which results in large performance issues. Please help!”
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high CPU is one of the common problems that Windows users are facing. However, some people don’t even know what is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and hence have no idea to solve the problem. Don’t worry. In this article, we are going to explain what is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and show you several methods of solving Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage problem. And also, we will introduce a powerful tool – Data Recovery, which can recover lost data from Windows 10/8/7.
Keep reading and learn how to fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high CPU usage with simple steps. Don’t forget to restart your computer after trying these methods.
What is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
For the people who have no idea what is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry, it is a Windows 10 service that keeps the technical data of the working Windows’ devices and other related software. It will also send the data to Microsoft on a regular basis. These will eventually help to fix any potential errors, bugs and therefor enhance user experience.
In simple words, it contains all the technical data which is useful to improve Microsoft products and services, the device security and performance, program and driver compatibility, etc. Windows will collect all of these data from different users and provide Windows update accordingly. The data Windows Compatibility Telemetry collects including security information like malware removal tools, basic device information like application usage data, advanced reliability data, and all the data required to identify and solve a problem.
Now that you’ve known what is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry? Let’s get into the solutions on how you can solve the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage.
Fix 1. Disable Telemetry using Group Policy Editor
For the people who are using Windows 10 Pro, Education, or Enterprise edition, this method is perfect for you. You can easily solve the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage by disabling the group policy editor usage. Just follow the below given steps to do so.
- Get started by pressing Windows + R button. Then, write gpedit.msc and click on OK to run Group Policy Editor.
- You will see many options there, just navigate to following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
- Now, double-click on Allow Telemetry option and select Disabled from the options, then click on Apply > OK.
- Lastly, you need to restart your PC in order to save the changes.
Fix 2. Disable Telemetry using The Registry Editor
If the Group Policy Editor doesn’t work for you and you are still facing Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage, you can disable the usage of the Registry Editor. Here’s how to do it:
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run and type regedit. In the Registry Editor, you will see many registries. Just redirect to the following registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
- Once you are there, you need to find “Allow Telemetry” file in the right panel.
- For the people who are not able to find the file over there. Simply right-click on DataCollection > NEW > DWORD (32-bit) value. Then name this newly created DWORD as Allow Telemetry and hit Enter.
- Double click on the Allow Telemetry and change the value to 0. Make sure the base is hexadecimal.
- Now, you can simply restart your computer and the problem of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU will be solved.
Fix 3. Disable Telemetry using Task Schedule
You can also solve the problem of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage with Task Schedule. Follow these simple steps:
- Simply type taskschd.msc in Run and hit enter to open Task Schedule. Now, you need to go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience.
- Now, find “Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser (CompatTelRunner.exe)” in the right panel and right-click n it. You will see the Disable option.
- Clicking on Disable will fix the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high CPU usage. Don’t forget to restart your computer after saving everything.
Fix 4. Disable using Command Prompt
The last way you can solve Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high CPU usage is using Command Prompt. Without a doubt, Command Prompt has a solution for all your Windows problems. You just need to know the right command.
1. To get started, press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin). You can either search for it or you can right-click on CMD and click Open as Administrator.
2. Now copy the below given command and paste it over there:
sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo “” >
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add
“HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
3. Restart your computer and Microsoft compatibility telemetry high CPU usage will be gone.
Bonus: Recover Lost Data from Windows 10/8/7
You may accidentally delete import files while fixing Microsoft Compatibility high disk usage problem. Don’t worry, here we have the solution for you. Using the third-party tool, Fucosoft Data Recovery, you can easily recover all the data that you deleted on your Windows computer. The program can help you recover deleted pictures, videos, documents, audio files, emails, archives, etc. It supports to recover files from all mediums like internal and external hard drives, USB flash drives, Pen drive, memory cards, SD card digital cameras and camcorders, mobile phones, etc.
Download Data Recovery software on to your computer and follow the below given steps to recover lost data from Windows 10/8/7:
Step 1: Install and run the Data Recovery program on your Windows PC, then select the drive that you lost your data.
Step 2: The program will scan the drive for all existing and deleted files. After scanning, all recoverable files will be displayed by categories.
Step 3: Now you’re allowed to preview the files and choose those you want, then click on “Recover” to get them back.
To summarize, here we’ve discussed, what is Microsoft compatibility telemetry and 4 effective methods to troubleshoot Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high CPU. In most of the cases, all the given methods will work fine. However, one thing to keep in mind is that you need to open CMD as administrator as well as reboot your computer to solve the problem. Is you have any methods or problems, please let us know in the comments section below.
You May Also Like:
- 5 Free Ways to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages
- Top 5 Ways to Fix iPhone is Disabled Connect to iTunes
- Top 7 Best 4K YouTube Video Downloader [2021 Review]
- Tenorshare 4uKey Review - Unlock iPhone/iPad without Passcode
- iPhone Stuck on the Apple Logo? How to Fix
- 10 Tips to Fix iPhone X Ghost Touch Issue in iOS 14/13
- [Fix]How to Recover Data after Factory Reset Android
- How to Recover Data from Android with Broken Screen
- 7 Tips to Fix iMessage Not Syncing on Mac 
- Top 10 Best Camera Apps for iPhone 12/11/XS/XR/X/8/7